DR & MRS VANDERTRAMP: A lesson on être in passé composé
Nous avons appris les verbes qui prennent avoir au passé composé (i.e. faire, savoir, voir, etc.).
Maintenant, nous allons découvrir qu'il y a une famille de verbes qui prennent le verbe être au passé composé.
~ ~ ~
The verbs that take être in the past tense have to do with actions like going in, going up, going down, arriving, etc. For this reason, the verbs are often illustrated by a house. These verbs can also be listed so that their first letters in order create the words: DR & MRS VANDERTRAMP. This is the memory tool we will use in this course. Today, you will be completing a series of interactive readings/activities online in order to gain an understanding of these verbs that take être.
Please follow the links below in order to learn more....
1. Read a fictional story about DR & MRS VANDERTRAMP
2. View a FANTASTIC Rihanna inspired video to learn these verbs that take ÊTRE in the passé composé (scroll down)
3. View flashcards to remember the VANDERTRAMP verbs and their English meanings
4. Play this game to review the forms of être au présent
5. Check out this presentation to learn about AGREEMENTS (les accords)
6. Choose a game to practice verbs (try all 3!)
7. Now, play a game to practice deciding if the verb takes AVOIR or ÊTRE in the passé composé
Now you know about DR MRS VANDERTRAMP verbs. Please begin working on your own graphic organizer of a house that includes all of the verbs that take ÊTRE in the passé composé.
All of the detailed instructions are found under unit 3 for this course (the assignment is called La maison d'être). You could choose to use a castle, a house or some other kind of "dwelling" as your visual representation. What is important is that you show the MEANING of each of the Vandertramp verbs in your picture.
Below you will se an example of this concept (note: not all verbs have been included here!)
Feel free to use Microsoft Word, Publisher, Comic Life or another appropriate program to generate your graphic organizer. You might also choose to draw it by hand.
Remember to see the full instructions on the Unité 3: les grands monstres page BEFORE you start! You will find the required elements and the success criteria there.